Access tests to High Music Education at ESMAR · Year 2021/22
- General Considerations
- Academic requirements for access
- Organizational modalities of access tests
- Structure and parts of access tests
- Registration for access tests
- Access tests calendar
- Allocation of vacancies for the academic year 2021/22
- Orientation and attention to applicants
- Applicants with specific educational needs derived from disability
- More information
1. General Considerations
According to the regulations in force, in order to access to High Music Education, it is necessary to pass a specific access test in accordance with provisions of articles 8 and 9 of Decree 48/2011.
To do this, ESMAR proposes an open and flexible model for conducting these access tests.
In this model, students will have a wide margin to choose the date of the tests. In addition, tests can be organized from March 1, 2021, so that applicants can have a place guaranteed in ESMAR as soon as possible and clear this uncertainty quickly.
The registration and testing periods will remain open permanently until the start of the 2021/22 academic year, except for the month of August.
In addition, three possible modalities are established to carry out this test:
- In person.
- Streaming by videoconference.
- By sending a recording.
The results of the tests will be communicated almost immediately. A safe place in ESMAR is also guaranteed to all the students who pass the entrance exam.
2. Academic requirements for access
To enter ESMAR, it will be necessary, in addition to passing the specific access test:
- To be in possession of the Bachelor’s Degree or to have passed the entrance exam to the University for those over 25 years old.
- People over 16 years old who, without meeting the requirements indicated in the previous section, pass the specific test referred to in article 69, “Post-compulsory education”, section 5 of the Organic Law 2/2006, from May 3rd, on Education (the so-called maturity test).
This test will be organized by the Department of Education, Research, Culture and Sports. The application must be done in some of the High centres which rely on ISEACV.
For the 2021/22 academic year, this test is scheduled to take place on June 2, 2021.
The admission of students who, when they pass the entrance exam, still do not have completed the established requirements, will be considered provisional and will remain conditional until the above mentioned requirements are met.
3. Organizational modalities of access test
Access tests at ESMAR may be organized in the following ways:
a) Physical face-to-face tests.
b) Streaming face-to-face tests (by videoconference).
c) By sending a recording.
Each applicant will choose the modality that she or he prefers. The student must indicate it in the registration application.
A) FACE-TO-FACE TEST.
- Face-to-face tests will be organized on ESMAR Campus.
- Tests may also be organized in other cities of Spanish territory.
- Applicants may propose to ESMAR date and time for individualized organization of the test. ESMAR will contact the applicants to confirm the proposed date or give an alternative.
B) STREAMING FACE-TO-FACE TESTS
- Streaming face-to-face tests will be organized on a date within the calendar generally established in ESMAR.
- Applicants may request ESMAR for an individualized organization of the test on a date and time proposed by the applicant. ESMAR will contact the applicant to confirm the proposed date or give an alternative.
- ESMAR will be in charge of managing the technical issues for the organization of videoconferences.
C) BY SENDING A RECORDING
- Applicants who choose this modality will carry out the different exercises of the access tests through a recording in video that can be sent from March 1 to July 20, 2021 to the ESMAR address in the June/July call and before September 30th, 2021 in the September call.
- The judges will evaluate these recordings and will mark them following the same terms established for the rest of students who take the face-to-face modality.
- The recordings will be sent through this Google Drive link. You can check out the following PDF with tips to make your recording.
4. Structure and parts of the access exams
A) INTERPRETATION SPECIALTIY (Piano and Symphonic Instruments).
– Single Test: Interpretation of a concert program lasting at least 30 minutes, of at least three different styles. The court will be able to choose the works, times or fragments of the presented program that the applicant must interpret.
INTERPRETATION SPECIALTY (Singing Itinerary.
– Single Test: Interpretation of a concert program composed of two free-choice opera arias belonging to different periods; two free-choice oratorio arias from different periods; two lyrical concert songs in different languages (German lied, French mélodie, Spanish song, song in some other language if the applicant wishes so).
B) PEDAGOGY SPECIALTIY (All instrumental itineraries)..
– Test A: Interpretation of a 15-minute concert program, of at least two different styles. It will not be eliminatory and will represent, in case of passing it, 60% of the final grade.
– Test B. Personal interview with applicant (in the event that the test recording mode is chosen, the applicant will record the responses to a questionnaire provided by the judges. It will not be eliminatory. It will represent 40% of the final score).
The final grade will be the weighted average of the scores obtained in the two tests.
C) PRODUCTION AND MANAGEMENT SPECIALTIY.
– Test A. Previous studies of interpretation duly documented, in case of not presenting such documentation, interpretation of a work (at the applicant’s choice) of 10 minutes maximum. It will not be eliminatory and will represent, in case of passing it, 20% of the final grade.
– Test B. Comment and contextualization of a musical work of applicant’s choice. Test will be carried out by oral defence with a maximum of 10 minutes. It will represent 30% of the final mark of the test. It will not be eliminatory.
– Test C. Practical case on a proposed text and personal interview where the capacity and maturity of the students are shown. It will represent 50% of the final grade. You will have prior individual preparation and a maximum of 15 minutes for oral defence before the judges.
The final grade will be the weighted average of the scores obtained in the three tests.
5. Registration for access tests
Registration for access tests will be possible within the deadlines established below.
a) Registration period for the specific access tests of all specialties and itineraries in the first call March/July: from March 1st to June 14th, 2021.
b) Registration period for the specific access tests of all specialties for the September call: from July 1st until September 30th, 2021..
Registration for the test will be done through one of the following registration forms for the entrance exams to High Music Studies:
The documentation that must be provided in both calls will be:
- Copy of Identity Card
- Proof of bank payment of the examination fee
Students may propose the date for the test (face-to-face modalities), indicating it on the corresponding form.
Payment of fees
Fee to register for access tests will be 50 euros, to be paid by transfer to ESMAR account at Bankia: ES28 2038 6186 7560 0032 5991.
6. Calendar of access tests
1. July 2021 call.
For all specialtiies and itineraries, the entrance exams can be taken from March 1st to July 31st, 2021.
Students, at the time of registration, may propose to ESMAR the date they prefer to take access tests in the physical and face-to-face modality by videoconference. ESMAR will try to attend to these requests and will inform the students as soon as possible of day and time finally chosen.
When applicants do not propose any date for the entrance exams, ESMAR will award a date that will be communicated to applicants in advance.
2. September 2021 call
For all specialties and itineraries, the access tests in their different modalities may be organized from September 1st until before the start of academic year.
Students may propose to ESMAR date and time they prefer to carry out access tests in the physical and face-to-face modality by videoconference. ESMAR will try to meet these requests and will inform the students as soon as possible of day and time finally chosen.
When applicants do not propose any date for entrance exams, ESMAR will award a date that will be communicated to applicants in advance.
7. Allocation of vacancies for academic year 2021/22
Once test has been carried out by any of the modalities, applicants will know the result on the same day of the realization for the face-to-face modalities.
In “Sending a recording” mode, applicants will know the results within three days after receiving the recording.
All students who pass the access tests will be guaranteed a place at ESMAR.
Regarding the choice of teacher, applicants will be able to choose the teacher they prefer from among the ESMAR teaching staff. Once each teacher’s schedule is completed, you must choose a schedule for a teacher who has free spots on the schedule.
It will be organized by chronological order, choosing before those who carry out and pass the tests first.
8. Orientation and attention to students
A list of indicative works for each specialty and the evaluation criteria of test will be published on ESMAR website.
ESMAR will organize an Open House Day on April 17th, 2021.
In addition, explanatory seminars will be organized for each specialty and also by teachers of different itineraries (Instruments).
However, any applicant may obtain personalized information about organization of access tests by writing to the email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students may also request a personal interview with a member of ESMAR management team to the same email address: email@example.com.
ESMAR also offers the possibility for any applicant to contact directly with Instrument / Singing teacher with whom they would like to study High Education in Music. This request can also be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. Applicants with specific educational needs derived from disability
According to article 10 of Decree 48/2011, of May 6th, the centres will have information systems and procedures for reception and orientation of students that must include, in case of students with specific educational needs derived from disabilities, services of adequate support and advice. In this sense, the necessary organizational and curricular adaptations of entrance exams will be made to enable the participation of these students.
These students will ask the centre to adapt the entrance exam and present the certificate of disability, as well as a report detailing these specific educational needs.
10. More information